Description: >>Sign up Here<<
Join us for an exciting hands-on Life Science class for Middle Schoolers! Open to those in grades 6 and up, we will take an exciting travel through Life Science topics exploring how they relate to us on Earth, and in Space. Students will have the experience of writing a lab report and will be expected to keep a journal of their work. Within each topic, we will also explore various careers and current research being performed today. Over the course of 16 weeks, we will learn about the following topics:
- Characteristics of living organisms and the operational definition of life
- Designing and building biospheres
- Testing tropisms (the growth movement a living organism has towards an external stimulus)
- Spaceflight physiology including: oxygen needs, heart rates, importance of exercise, the vestibular system, orthostatic hypotension, carbon dioxide effects
- Spacesuits and how they protect humans in Space
- Radiation on Earth and Space and how it affects DNA
- Space food chemistry
- And more!
Hands-on learning activities will include:
- How to take soil samples and test for life
- Building a lunar biosphere in a team environment with each participant rotating scientific roles
- Testing the effects of gravity on growth of plants
- Simulate the effects of space on the human body through multiple experiments
- Build parts of spacesuits to understand how they operate
- Build DNA molecules
- And more!
We will explore the following careers:
- Soil and Plant Scientists, Robotic engineers, Anthropologists, Geographers, Astronomers, Astronauts, Botanists, Agricultural Engineers, Zoologists, Medical Scientists, Exercise Physiologists, Audiologists, Respiratory Therapists, Human Factors Engineers and Ergonomists, Biomedical Engineers, Fashion Designers, etc.!
Beyond learning the science, we will develop these skills as a group:
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Technological design
- Science and technology in society
- Algebraic thinking: analyzing patterns and relationships, probability, graphing, etc.!
- And more!
Dates: Thursdays, 10:00-12:00, January 12th – May 18th, we will take off these dates: 2/16, 3/16, 4/6
Homework will be assigned through the course and graded together as a group.
Suggested Age Range:
Middle School, grades 6 and up
What’s Included in the Class:
Lab book and report keeper, most materials for experiments (see below), fun learning opportunities!
What to Bring:
Students should bring something to write with, and an excitement about Life Science in space! On occasion they will be asked to bring in household items (like soda bottles), otherwise all materials are included.
If you missed the sign-up deadline, but still want to join the class from this point please contact Meg Green at email@example.com to see if there are any open seat remaining.